BlazeMaster® CPVC is the most specified non-metallic fire sprinkler piping system in the world. It is specially engineered and approved for all light hazard applications, as defined by the LPS 1260 , BS EN 12845 and the American approvals NFPA 13/13R/13D.
Building owners and contractors specify BlazeMaster fire protection systems because they:
- Install quickly, quietly and securely.
- Won’t sustain a flame.
- Inherently resist pitting and corrosion.
- Resist microbiologically influenced corrosion (MIC).
- Are lightweight and durable.
- Limit smoke generation.
- Require less space for installation.
Review the BlazeMaster Fire Protection Systems’ international listings and approvals below for third-party verification of our fire sprinkler system’s performance and reliability.
Where Can BlazeMaster® Fire Protection Systems Be Used?
BlazeMaster CPVC pipe and fittings are listed by BRE Global Loss Prevention Board (LPCB) and Underwriters Laboratories (UL and C-UL) for use in:
- Light hazard occupancies as defined in the Standard for Fixed Firefighting Systems – Automatic Sprinkler Systems – Design, installation and maintenance BS EN 12845 and the American Standard for the installation of Sprinkler Systems NFPA 13.
- Residential occupancies as defined in the Standard for Fixed Firefighting Systems – Automatic Sprinkler Systems – Design, installation and maintenance BS EN 12845 and the American Standard for the Installation of Sprinkler Systems in Residential Occupancies up to Four Stories in Height, NFPA 13R.
- Ordinary hazard installations as defined in the Standard for Fixed Firefighting Systems – Automatic Sprinkler Systems – Design, installation and maintenance BS EN 12845 and the American Standard for the installation of Sprinkler Systems NFPA 13.
- Residential occupancies as defined in the Standard for Fixed Firefighting Systems – Automatic Sprinkler Systems – Design, installation and maintenance BS EN 12845 and the American Standard for Sprinkler Systems in One and Two Family Dwellings and Manufactured Homes, NFPA 13D.
- Air plenums. For guidance, please contact technical support.
- From TB227. Below are examples of occupancies in which approved plastic pipe may be used:
- Schools, colleges and other educational institutions (LH or OH1)
- Offices, excluding store rooms (LH or OH1)
- Hotels, excluding kitchens, plant and store rooms (OH1)
- Hospitals, excluding kitchens, plant, store and laundry rooms (OH1)
- Museums, excluding store rooms (OH1)
- Libraries, excluding areas in which plastic materials are stored and stock rooms (OH1)
- Court rooms (OH1)
- Nursing homes (OH1)
- Data processing rooms (OH1)
- Prisons (OH1)
- Churches (LH or OH1)
- Restaurant dining areas (OH1)
- Attics, without storage (LH or OH1)
Temperature and Pressure Rating
BlazeMaster pipe and fittings, size 20 mm to 80 mm (3/4 in. to 3 in.) are rated for continuous service of 175 psi (1207 kPa) at 65°C (150°F). Their use is suitable for use in areas where ambient temperatures are within the range of 2°C to 65°C (25°F to 150°F).
In an area where the temperature will exceed 65°C (150°F) such as an attic, BlazeMaster CPVC can be installed if ventilation is provided or if insulation is used around the pipe to maintain a cooler environment.
The piping systems must be laid out to ensure the piping is not closely exposed to devices that generate heat in excess of 65°C (150°F) such as light fixtures and steam lines.
If the installation is in an area subject to freezing temperatures, the sprinkler system must be protected from freezing. A frozen system will not only be deactivated, but the pressures that may build up can cause the sprinkler heads to open or damage the pipes.
Product Ratings, Capabilities and Material Properties
Pipe Dimensions and Weights
BlazeMaster pipe is produced in SDR 13.5 dimensions. SDR, or standard dimensional ratio, means the pipe wall thickness is directly proportional to the outside diameter. This results in consistent pressure capabilities across all diameters.
The pipe is produced to the specifications of ASTM F442. Fittings are produced to ASTM F437, F438, or F439 specifications depending on the system size and configuration.
Physical and Thermal Properties
Hydraulic calculations for the sizing of BlazeMaster pipe and fittings is calculated using the Hazen-Williams C factor of 150. The piping maintains this C-factor throughout the life of the system.
Pipe Friction Loss
Pipe friction loss calculations are made according to BS EN 12845 section 132 (2015 edition) and NFPA 13 Section 23.4 (2016 Edition).
Fittings Friction Loss
Thermal Expansion and Contraction
BlazeMaster CPVC pipe, like all piping materials, expands and contracts with changes in temperature.
The coefficient of linear expansion is: 0.000061 cm / cm °C (0.0000340 inch/inch-°F) and linear expansion is the same for all pipe diameters.
For example, a 13.9°C (25°F) change in temperature will cause an expansion of 2.5 cm (1 inch) for a 30.5 m (100 foot) straight run of BlazeMaster pipe.
For most operating and installation conditions, expansion and contraction can be accommodated at changes in direction of the pipe run. However, in certain instances, expansion loops or offsets may be required when installing long, straight runs of pipe.
THE FORMULA TO CALCULATE THE AMOUNT OF THERMAL EXPANSION OR CONTRACTION IS
ΔL = 12 * E * L * ΔT
Where: e = 3.4 * 10-5 inch/inch-°F; L = Length of run in feet; ΔT = Temperature change °F;
ΔL = Change in length due to change in temperature
Thermal Expansion in Centimeters
Thermal Expansion in Inches
BlazeMaster fire protection piping is inherently ductile, which allows it to deflect—within permissible limits—around or away from objects during installation.
This ductility allows for greater design freedom, reduce installation time and lower installed cost. The maximum installed deflections for BlazeMaster piping are as follows, in both feet and meters:
Specify BlazeMaster CPVC
To reach communities around the globe, we distribute widely through our network of partner manufacturers. They have a proven track record of producing the highest quality materials and are required to satisfy BlazeMasters’ Quality Assurance Program, which ensures you purchase the highest quality pipe and fittings available. Learn more about our partner manufacturers.
For specification support, or for questions about partner manufacturers in your area, our team of product and engineering specialists is available.